Monday, August 30, 2010

TIME TO CANCEL TIME MAGAZINE

I’d always considered myself a centrist/conservative. Subscribing to Time Magazine is not something a “died in the wool” conservative would do. I appreciate hearing all points of view. That said, the August 30th issue with the cover question “Is America Islamophobic?” really got my dander up (that’s a Midwest phrase.) I spent 9-11-01 in Hawaii with 2000 people at a seminar, a good portion from New York. My roommate lived less than 1 mile from Ground Zero. Dozens of my attendee friends lost loved ones. We were stuck on the island. No flights in or out that week. We grieved together, cursed together and learned about each other on a much deeper level than we could have ever anticipated. The Time article particularly angered me. To cover that gripe I need the space of a book, not a blog.

Now I’m reading the September 6th issue, the front cover shouting “Rethinking Homeownership.” As a Realtor and Real Estate Broker I tried to review their information with an open mind. After all, I need to know what my clients are being told. That recalls another phase “Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.” When I finished their ludicrous article I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. Their concept conclusion - Americans should trend toward dumping their homes and consider inner city living in cities where people can walk to work. The author envisioned urban areas becoming hotbeds of rental housing. Obviously, this writer is probably not a homeowner, certainly doesn’t live in Los Angeles and most likely will never earn a living as a writer except maybe for comedy. Since most of my clients live near the beach or on the hill (Palos Verdes Peninsula) I’m trying to imagine leaving those homes behind and moving downtown. They could rent a flat (some buildings are currently converting to lofts.) They could walk to work (assuming they can find a job downtown.) They could also take the Red line to the Blue line to the bus station to the beach …problem with dragging those surf boards though. Perhaps this author lives in New York City. If that’s the case, I pray she lives in the same neighborhood as the intended mosque.

Meantime, if you would like to downsize to a rental loft in the business district, please call me! I have many people trying to buy homes in the South Bay area. Somehow we have this strange conception that God is not making anymore Beach Front property. I suppose that will hold until the next “big” one drops us into Las Vegas, but I digress. If you are a first time buyer NOW is the time to buy not rent. Interest rates are in the 4’s for heaven’s sake. If you have a paycheck and even if you have to commute to a job in East Butt Scratch, I suggest this is your window of opportunity. And if you’re short on funds, you can start saving money right now by cancelling your Time Magazine subscription!

No comments: